Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Week 12: I Live With You

For this weeks reading the theme/genre given to us was "diverse position in science fiction" and from the resource page I chose the story I Live with You. The first thing I'd like to state is that I genuinely think this story should probably be in the horror section since I found the narrative to be disturbing. This story heavily plays around with invoking a sense of paranoia in not only the protagonist but the reader as well. As someone who is slightly paranoid I could feel a chill reading through this story it made me uncomfortable and reminds me of how my forgetfulness sometimes makes me question my past action. I thought that it was interesting how the "antagonist" became comfortable with her new living environment so much so she slowly started morphing into the protagonist. Which brings up the question of what she really was, a person, ghost, a second personality? It made me think heavily on those little changes in a room that you never question because you think you did them yourself. The antagonist starts by doing such small actions like nibbling at your leftovers or switching the location of items that the protagonist doesn't start questioning until they get more severe. I found that in later sections it started getting difficult to tell whether the protagonist had done something or if it was the antagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment