Thursday, April 6, 2017

Week 12: Bloodchild

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

My response to the beginning of this story was one of slight confusion seeing as it took a while to understand that Gatoi was some sort of inhuman creature. Moving forward I felt somewhat neutral to the relationship the family had with Gatoi seeing as they were being somewhat brainwashed by the "eggs" the Tlic provide to their host family. I started to feel wary of them when the mother expressed her discomfort towards Gatoi handling her children, more so Gan, since she knew that eventually Gatoi would be using him as a host. From here my reaction towards Gatoi became one of disgust as she then tore open the man Lomas and removed the children of another Tlic.

2. What connections did you make with the story that you read? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect.

I felt as though I could connect with Gan in this story as someone who has a younger sibling. Gan had to ultimately make a difficult decision as to wether or not sacrifice himself or his willing sister to the breeding of Gatoi's children. He was scared to take the role himself but selfless enough to take responsibility instead of subjecting his sister to that kind of torture. I also felt like sympathetic towards Gatoi in a strange sense where all she wanted was the best for her children.. Gatoi had already spent time bonding with this family and in this world their kind was already used to this system of symbiosis where both parties benefit from one another.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

If I were to to change this to another medium I would probably go for a full length film or comic instead of something along the lines of a video game or short film. In order to do so rather than change the plot I would prefer to add to it, mainly in terms of world building. I felt as though we  received enough information from the text to understand the bare minimum but I'd like to further explore this world in order to immerse the audience further. I would also prefer to start off by showing the Tlic to be more benevolent and helpful rather than an already suspicious creature in order to drive a harder impact on their true nature later in the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment