Sunday, February 26, 2017

Week 7: The Night Circus

Feeling somewhat let down by the previous reading I did on Harry Potter I chose to do a second title in the tale of spiritual education section by reading The Night Circus which most students in class seemed to have enjoyed. Now based off the first few chapters I can say that this novel lead me to continue reading further without any struggle or loss of interest. Maybe because the character's emotions were far more complex and believable or that they weren't children for long like in Harry Potter. I found it fascinating how the relationships between student and mentor progressed as both Celia and Marco grew up under the guidance of Hector and Alexander respectively. As from what I've read so far Celia seemed to suffer a lot both physically and emotional in her training seeing as her father is mainly using her as a pawn in a gamble against Alexander's student. I felt as though she faced a lot of moral choices when it came to keeping her temper and following her father's orders no matter what they may be. Seeing as Celia shows great promise in her abilities she could have maybe run off or fought with her father but she may have struggled with the fact that he is her father and has a parental respect for him despite the way he has treated her. Marco on the other hand wasn't as abused though he was socially deprived for a great length of time. I can't say this is much better seeing as he was also just adopted to be a pawn in the challenge and forced into something he has no knowledge of. Even though both characters are essentially being used they continue to comply with the orders of their teachers. I personally think from what I've read they continue doing so because they are driven by curiosity and thirst for further knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment